March 1st. It is just 95 days until the yellow wave of Team Survivor steps into the sun to ride in Moab! February was a great month – we had our kickoff and got fundraising and recruiting jumpstarted. I’m looking forward to a great year and appreciate all of you who have joined us for 2021! Thanks for signing up with Team Survivor to Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
The Team Survivor event for 2021 is The Big Nasty in Moab, Utah! The highlight of the route is climbing 3000 feet in seven miles to reach the top of The Big Nasty! This is a beautiful route featuring amazing landscape: the La Sal Mountains, Red Rock Canyons and the Colorado River. We have two route options, a 64 mile metric century with 5565 feet of climbing and a 100 mile route with 6807 feet of climbing. This will be the first century for new teammates Meg and Nick so please considering joining us on the 100 mile route to support them! By the way, the image at the right is not the Big Nasty – it is Fisher Towers that we will ride by on the way down. The links to the routes are included here:
- The Big Nasty Metric Century – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35044107
- The Big Nasty Century – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35209732
Team Survivor Kickoff 2021
Step into the Sun
All the stars were out for our action packed Team Survivor Kickoff 2021! Even though this year’s event was virtual, it was great seeing everyone and getting the season kicked off with lots of momentum. Here are some of the highlights:
- We welcomed our new registered members – Lori Solomon, Megan Pitcher and Nick Rich
- Stacie Kulp, Executive Director of the LLS Mountain Region, provided an LLS update. It’s amazing to learn about all of the great news during such a tough year. LLS helped advance 14 of the 17 blood cancer treatment options approved by the FDA as well as $4.8M in assistance through the LLS COVID-19 Patient Financial Aid Program. All made possible by your fundraising!
- Dr. James DeGregori shared all of the life changing research happening for AML, B-cell malignancies, CLL and Multiple Myeloma. Incredible advancements funded by LLS in the areas of CAR T and other treatments.
- Fundraising – Team Survivor has raised $550,000 in our 5 year history. At the time of the Kickoff we had raised $69,392 for 2021. We talked about the importance of fundraising this year – last year’s fundraising won’t help this year’s research budget. Even if you transferred funds, pretend you’re at zero and help LLS build back from being down 25% in donations in 2020.
- Registration options are 1) Virtual AMBBR with $1500 minimum fundraising – here is the link https://registration.teamintraining.org/event-selected/169864/team-selected/803780 or 2) Resilience Challenge -registration opens this month with a minimum fundraising of $500. Click the interest form to keep up to date with the program until registration is open!
- The AMBBR Virtual Event Experience plans to include lots of encouragement, recognition and celebration!
- The Team Survivor 2021 Cycling Event, The Big Nasty, will be held in Moab, UT on Saturday, June 5th.
- Any bike, any road. For this year’s team you are not limited to the Virtual AMBBR or Moab. You can literally ride around the block for your event. Or you can choose another event – Team Survivor has members riding Bike MS (join Team NEO), Triple Bypass and Tour of the Moon. As always, the priority for Team Survivor is fundraising so raise money and ride where you want!
New Registered Teammates
We have added SEVEN new registered members since last month. Thanks for helping us beat cancer to the finish line. Make sure you continue to recruit family and friends to join – this is going to be an awesome year. Welcome to all of our new registered riders! It’s so great to have you all on the team!
- James DeGregori
- Nicole Odell
- Cathie Einhorn-Nicholson
- Mary Carey
- Steven Martinez
- Stacey Sloan
- Laura Tomlinson
Thanks to everyone for participating the the World Cancer Day fundraiser. Fifteen teammates reached our goal receiving 100 donations valued at $7,530! What a great jumpstart to our fundraising for 2021!
As we discussed at Kickoff, we have a big head start for fundraising this year as many teammates transferred their registration and donations to this year. Even if you reached your minimum last year and transferred, pretend you’re starting at zero and fundraise like every other year. As of March 1st we have raised $79,197! A reminder that we only have another 3 months of fundraising left so it’s time to giddy up!
- $12,345 – John Reuman
- $11,544 – Rance McDougald
- $7,860 – Mary Salsich
- $6,719 – Randy Hunt
- $4,582 – Meli Reumann
March Ride Schedule
- March 6th – Jamestown (35 miles, 2368 feet)
- March 13th – Deer Creek (32 miles, 2331 feet)
- March 20th – Bear Creek/Kerr Gulch (34 miles, 2583 feet)
- March 27th – Lookout Mountain (37 miles, 2686 feet)
February 6th – Cherry Creek Elaboration
Public Service Announcement
Friends, don’t let friends ride when it is 1 degree.
February 20th – Chatfield Circumference
February 27th – Glacial Golden Garrison
When you play the Game of Scones, you win or you die.
Support Pete Smith – Man of the Year!
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Man & Woman of the Year campaigns kickoff this Thursday, March 4th, so please go to this link and donate to our friend Pete! Best of luck from Team Survivor! https://pages.lls.org/mwoy/rm/denver21/psmith?fbclid=IwAR2ZnSQy81dxWJAs0v9IpCRzH_KzRozRwBQbbX60xgA4Ycf-lzy0stTmWX8